MP3 streaming server
Icecast has a much better administration, both through telnet as well as a Web interface and is known to be less of a drain on server resources. In addition to this, it has an excellent support for directory servers. The latest version is 1.3.10 (you can get the source as well as binary RPMs from http://www.icecast.org/download.html).
Installation from source is a simple three-step process
Copy the default configuration file to the conf directory under the base icecast directory.
cp conf/icecast.conf.dist /usr/local/icecast/etc/icecast.conf
Open the file in any editor
The following configuration settings need to be modified.
* encoder_password foobar - Any encoders/streams that are to connect to the Icecast server will use this password. e.g - Shoutcast, Liveice.
* admin_password foobar - The admin password that is used when connecting to the admin console.
* oper_password foobar - The password required to access special operator commands.
* hostname - You can use this one to bind Icecast to a specific IP or to the IP of a hostname.
* server_name - This should be your fully qualified domain name or the IP addressed with your domain name.
Although the above settings are enough, but as the configuration file is extremely well commented, we suggest that you give the options more than a passing glance.
The next thing we need is a source to push to Icecast. This could be a shoutcast source or a live streaming source. You can push as many varied streams as you like to Icecast. Shoutcast is one of the more preferred ones because of the popularity of Winamp.
Shoutcast feeds an MP3 stream to Icecast. Look for it in http://www.icecast.org/download.html
Three step installation
Copy the default configuration file to the etc directory under the base icecast directory.
cp etc/shout.conf.dist /usr/local/icecast/etc/shout.conf
Edit the shout.conf file and make the following configuration changes.
* server_name foo.bar.org - Your server domain name
* port 8000 - The port to the available at
* password hackme - The encoder password. Should be the same as encoder_password in icecast.conf