Configuring CVS and CVSUP on Linux
Configuring CVSup server for replication
1) Suppose we have repository at /home/cvs. And assume that we have a
module called “testmodule”. This module should be replicated to all the
cvsup clients. So we need to define it as the collection in CVSup
server. For this create a directory say in /home/mahantesh. Name this
directory as base. In base folder create a folder called ‘sup’. In sup
folder create a folder called testmodule.
2) In testmodule folder create a file called list.cvs. This file
defines what this cvsup is giving to be replicated. So we need to
mention module name here. According to our assumption above we will
mention a line similar to “upgrade testmodule”
3) In the same folder create a file called ‘releases’. In this file we
have to give where the repository resides. So this file will contain
line similar to cvs list=list.cvs prefix=prefix where prefix is
4) Then go to /usr/local/sbin (where cvsupd deamon resides. Run the
command “./cvsupd -b /home/mahantesh/base/ -C 5 -l /home/mahantesh/log”.
This command starts the cvsupd server using /home/mahantesh/base as the
collection and create log in /home/mahantesh/log. ‘ –c 5’ indicates
that 5 clients can connect simultaneously.
Configuring the Client machines to get the updates from CVSup server.
1) On Client machine also perform the steps described in section
“Installing CVSup server”.
2) Create file called supfile in directory say /usr/local/bin (you can
create anywhere). The contents of the supfile will look like this.
*default release=cvs delete use-rel-suffix compress
3) The first line shows the default umask of the system. The ‘default
tag’ indicates the current tag. The ‘default host’ indicates server from
which to get the updates. The default prefix indicates where to put the
updates from the server. The ‘default base’ indicates the default base
folder. The last line without * indicates which modules to get from
4) Then from client machine run the command “cvsup supfile”. For each
run of this command client will get update from the server. So with cron
utility we need to schedule it for every one hour so that client can