A look at Helix GNOME
spreadsheet. Already, Gnumeric can handle documents in a variety of formats,
including HTML, Excel, CSV, and Lotus-123. Gnumeric is extensible and
scriptable, so that it will remain a platform for development and data
management for years to come.
* GnomeCalculator: A simple double precision calculator. It is not as full
featured as a scientific calculator.
* bug-buddy: A bug report tool for users.
* gTop: An impressive real time system monitor.
* SysInfo: System information and report tool.
* Stripchart: Plots various user-specified elements over a period of time.
* Gnome Search Tool: A MS Windows like Find function useful for locating
* GIMP: Graphics Image Manipulation Program that rivals commercial graphic
applications like Adobe Photoshop.
* GQview: An image file viewer for various file formats.
* Update Agent/Helix Setup Tools: Helix Setup Tools simplify the
administration of Unix desktop machines, by giving the user a friendly and
unified graphical frontend to most setup and administration tasks. Keep
desktop applications and components up to date with Update Agent.
* Evolution: Evolution, the Helix Code groupware suite, marks the next step
forward in GNOME applications. The email, contact management, and calendar
tools act as a seamless personal information-management tool. Evolution is
also highly extensible and it will be possible to use it to solve a wide
variety of information-sharing problems.
Everything that Helix GNOME provides and installs can be installed manually by
downloading the various components freely available from the Internet. In
fact, if you look closely, there is no difference between GNOME and Helix
GNOME. To look at Helix GNOME from the simplistic software point of view would
be wrong. Helix GNOME lays the foundation for user-friendly install packages
that can be readily installed by first time users and high quality software
Helix Code plans to continually develop Helix GNOME and packages that will be
useful for users. Most of Helix's service will be freely available with some
features becoming value add services.
If you haven't tried out the GNOME desktop environment and feel intimidated by
installation procedures, Helix GNOME is the best excuse you can give yourself
to install the GNOME environment on your system!